Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mama Bird, Baby Bird

I hosted a baby shower at work this week for a dear friend of mine. The shower theme was loosely based on the "mama bird, baby bird" concept. I knew exactly what I was going to do but was a little worried about the execution of the idea. The end result couldn't have come out more perfectly!

I wanted the birds to have the appearance of flying. So I affixed them to dowel rods stuck in styrofoam. The stands sat atop blue napkins meant to look like the sky and I covered the stands with polyfil to give the appearance of clouds.

I used a Sizzix die called Hello, Kitty Birdie to cut the birds and various elements from felt. I sewed two birds together, leaving a pocket for the dowel rod. I affixed the various elements using Zots.

I found a nifty cupcake stand online. It's made of cardboard that you decorate and assemble yourself. Since I wanted the cupcakes themselves to more of the focal point, I kept the stand decorations very simple. I covered each piece in white tissue paper and then covered the edges with polka-dot ribbon. It turned out to be a really nice presentation.

No comments: